Fried Potatoes scrambled egg thingy

I am not really a foodie. I like my meals fairly plain. In stereotypical American fashion I eat lots of cheeseburgers and pizza. But one thing I am a huge fan of is a big breakfast.  Give me a giant plate of scrambled eggs and some biscuits and gravy, and I am a happy wonky. So with that in mind here is a simple and cheap hearty breakfast.

Ingredients:

  • 3 eggs
  • 3 red potatoes
  • Half a green pepper
  • Half a yellow onion
  • 2 tbsp olive oil

ingredients for scramble potato thing

Clean the potatoes and then chop them into about 1/2 inch chunks. Try to keep the potato pieces about the same size so they cook evenly.

Heat a skillet, preferably cast iron, and add the olive oil and potatoes. A pro tip, make sure you cook the potatoes enough.  A few times I've not browned them thoroughly and it ruins the dish.  Stir the potatoes while they brown.

Dice half the onion and half the green pepper.

Once the potatoes are starting to brown add the onions, and some salt and pepper.

Just cook this mixture until the onions start to get a little color.  You aren't going for french onion soup here. Add those diced green pepper bits. Give it a couple more minutes with some stirring.  During this time whisk up the three eggs.

Make a space in the middle of the pan to add the eggs.


hole for eggs

Pour in the eggs.  Let them just sit and cook for about a minute, then stir the whole mess together.  It won't take long for the eggs to cook with all the heat in the pan.

This makes enough for two people I would say.  I ate the whole thing myself. I like it because you can add almost anything handy.  Sausage, cheese, ham, tomatoes all add nice flavor and color.

Cost:$4.35  <- I had the receipt

Comments

Wendy Hollands said…
Looks yumbo. I really wish you'd taken a photo of the finished product! I'm kind of imagining a mix between scrambled eggs and Spanish omelette.
wonky73 said…
I meant to get a picture of the finished product... but I ate it and forgot. I was hungry.

It actually doesn't look that good at the end, sort of a mess, but it sure tastes good.