Being here now

This one sounded way better in my head.  Had trouble finding the right words.

The sky hung low with gray clouds and a soft drizzle soaked the earth below. The weather fit my mood. My heart was heavy with the thoughts of someone I love lying in a hospital.

 Most people who know me know I love walking the rain.  Give me a nice all day shower and I'll walk for miles. Usually when I walk I listen to podcasts with headphones stuffed in my ears.

I walk out into the soft rain with my ears filled with talk of the latest tech news.  As I get to the corner where the path starts, I pause and take out my headphones.  Why don't I just be here now, I think.

I walk along listening to the rain gently falling.  The birds don't seem to mind the rain as a symphony of bird songs fill my ears.

I come across these petals that only days ago hung with life to the trees.
spring flowers

They are now strewn across the path.
petals on the path

I am reminded of a line from the movie The Last Samurai. "Like these blossoms, we are all dying." It was not a lament. It was spoken more in wonder. The realization of death was the realization of life. If we are aware that are days are numbered we should live them more fully.

Watch the clip it makes more sense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQooui1eRhw


With my new found philosophical insights I returned home and played a video game.  Somebody has to stop the ice men.

Comments