Moving forward when life is on hold

Are you all getting sick of these introspective posts?  I know I am, but I just don't have much else to write about right now.  I guess I could finally write about my trip to London and Paris.  Someday I promise to write those and show off my crooked pictures.


I commented to an online friend, hello Chris Foley, that my life is currently on hold. The circumstances causing this are largely out of my control. The conversation got me thinking.  What do I mean life was on hold?  How on hold is it?  And even during this time what can I do to move forward as a person? Thus follows some nonsensical musings. 



What do I mean life is on hold?


Do to health, personal, and financial situations a lot of options in life are currently not possible. It would be unwise to move to a new city or get a new job. Not that I want a new job I like mine. My dream of expating to another country just isn't possible right now. (note: expating is not a word according to the dictionary, but seriously expatriating sounds so pretentious) Basically, in large life decision needs to be deferred until these situations resolve.

How on hold is it?


Not nearly as much as I make out. I like to use this as an excuse to be lazy. Anybody who knows me IRL knows that I am generally pretty lazy and always like to take the easy way out. There are still legitimate limitations. I had to stop jogging because it aggravated my health issue. I can't take a long vacation.

What can I do to move forward as a person?

I need to think about what I am moving forward toward. The first question is what type of person do I want to be?  Once I have determined that I can consider what type of life that person will live. Here is where I list all the juicy details of what type of person I want to be and what steps I am going to take while "on hold" to get there.  Sorry. I am going to keep most of that private.  I will give you a few snippets
I want to be the kind of person who is:
  • outgoing friendly and accepting
  • expresses himself artistically at times
  • can be counted on (sometimes) to get things done
A few things I can do beginning now to help achieve my goals
  • wake up earlier
  • write everyday
  • take more pictures
  • read books and blogs that will help with professional development



Comments