Food Friday: Special Chilli with insanity peppers

With the temperatures dipping low and the days getting shorter, it's time to pull out the stews and chilli. Below is a slightly modified version of my normal chilli recipe. I told my Lebanese friend who loves really spicy food that I was going to make chilli.  He told me he had something for me.  He then gave me what I in a incorrect homage to the Simpsons refer to as "the insanity peppers of Itsoplatilacal".



I have no idea what they are actually called but they turn your mouth numb.

 Ingredients for about 6 servings:

  • Two cans kidney beans
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 onion
  • 1 green pepper
  • some hot peppers  <- my supermarket labelled the two peppers on the left as "assorted hot peppers"  they were less hot then Jalapenos.
  • 16 oz tomato sauce
  • 28 oz diced tomatoes
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • cayanne pepper
  • chilli powder
  • ground cummin

Begin by browning the ground beef over medium heat in a rather large pan.
While the beef is browning chop up the onion and seed and chop up the peppers. Important: if you have insanity peppers don't chop them up.  We are just going to add them whole to the mixture.
After about six minutes of the meat browning add the onion and peppers.  I also like to add in some salt and pepper at this point, approximately a table spoon.  Mix cover and let the mixture cook for another six minutes.
While that is going on get a big pot going over medium heat.  Dump in the diced tomatoes, the tomato sauce and the kidney beans.
Once the meat is done add it and the veggies to the big pot.  Also dump in the insanity peppers whole.
Season pepper, chili powder, cayenne and cumming to a hotness you like.  Remember if you have insanity peppers they are going to add more heat as the mixture simmers.
Leave the pot simmering on the stove for between four and ten hours.





Remove the insanity peppers which should have floated to the top.  The chilli will be best after a day or two sitting in the fridge.
The final result was more liquid than I wanted.  I had actually dumped two cans of water into the chilli but removed this step for you all since it wasn't necessary. It had a nice flavor and was just spicy enough to clear out the sinuses. 

Comments