Food Friday: Frittata with potatoes, ham, peppers, and feta cheese

Another cold Sunday rolled around and it was time to find something to eat.  So I went through the pantry to see what I had. I had eggs. I always have eggs.  I had some potatoes, cheese, some ham.  My initial thought was to make the fried potatoes scrambled egg thingy, but then I decided to try my hand at a frittata.  I had never made one before but I had recently watched a cooking show were the chef made one.

Ingredients:

  • Four eggs whisked
  • About 1/3 cup chopped peppers
  • 1/4 cup shredded ham
  • 1/2 cup shredded red potatoes
  • 1/3 cup feta cheese

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 350. A frittata is basically a baked egg pie.  I worried that the twenty minutes in the oven wouldn't be enough to cook the potatoes and I hate undercooked potatoes.  So I took the shredded potatoes and dumped them in a cast iron skillet with oil, salt and pepper.  They cooked for about five minutes.


I then let the pan and the potatoes cool for a few minutes. I didn't want them to start cooking the eggs before I had them in the oven.  I mixed all the ingredients together dumped them in the  cast iron skillet and into the oven the whole creation went.



Twenty minutes later I had a frittata.



It was ok if not great.  I would say with a few other things, some toast or fruit, this makes enough for two people.  By my lonesome I only managed to eat 3/4 of it.  I also learned frittatas do not reheat in the microwave well, so I ended up throwing the uneaten part out.  Next time I'll just use three eggs and cut everything by a quarter.

Comments