Stagnant in a world of wanderers

It seems that in the modern world everybody spends their lives on the move. People move from job to job, place to place, and in many cases relationship to relationship.  I don't move much.

I follow the blog of a twenty something who in four years has lived in three different countries, wandered aimlessly around the world for six months, and held about eight different jobs during that time. This behavior isn't only the purview of the twenty somethings. I have another online friend who has moved and changed careers three times since turning forty.

I on the other hand have lived in the exact same town (technically it is three towns joined together) for the last thirteen years.  Post graduation I have worked in the same industry. I have now lived in the exact same apartment for five years.  This would make sense if I was married with children.  My town is a great place to raise a family.  But alas that never happened. Perhaps my stagnation explains why every time I visit a new City or Country while traveling, I want to move there. Whether LA, Rome, London, Paris, after a trip I daydream of living in that place. Often I fantasize about mundane lives in these places.  What would it be like to be a bartender on the Cote d'Azur.  I'd clean and lock up the bar and then head home through the ancient streets at three in the morning. You would think I would fantasize about being a famous actor or rich gambler.  Nope I am a taxi driver in Paris or a programmer in London. 


Comments

Nathan said…
Go do it!