I accidentally discovered a recipe for crepes


Every once in awhile I make myself I nice big stack of pancakes from. So last Saturday I decided to make myself some and I accidentally discovered a recipe for crepes.  How does one accidentally discover a recipe? I got the stuff together for the pancakes and noticed I was out of baking powder. I looked at the ingredients and wondered if crepes were basically just pancakes with out the baking powder. So I gave it a try.

Mix in a bowl 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flower, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon white sugar.

Melt 3 tablespoons of butter. I put it in the microwave for about 40 seconds then let it cool for a bit.

To the dry mixture at 1 1/4 cups of milk and 1 egg. Start mixing.  After a few seconds start slowly adding the butter while continuing to stir.  I finally stir in a teaspoon of vanilla extract.

At this point I thought the consistency wasn't quite liquid enough so I stirred in a 1/4 cup of water. 

I heated up a cast iron skillet and added a small amount of butter to melt. I didn't measure  out the amount of batter I poured into the skillet. I just guessed a good amount and used the back of a spoon to spread it out a little bit.  I cooked them 1 minute on the first side and then 30 seconds on the other. Viola crepes.  They came out very tasty.  This makes enough for two people so I took about half and put them in a ziplock bag and tossed them in the fridge.  Next morning I just popped them in the microwave for 60 seconds and they were good to eat.

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons of melted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Comments