Excuses I try to use to not go for a run #NationalRunningDay

A video posted by @wonky73 on

I just learned that today is National Running Day. It is a complete coincidence that I had a post about running scheduled for today.

I hate running. There I admitted it. I follow a few running blogs and get confused when reading them. It seems these people are running through fields of flowers with rainbows and unicorns dancing around them. For me running is like going to the dentist. You know you will feel better afterwards but it's horrid at the time. During almost every run at about the half way point I think, "I should just stop and walk back. Or lay down in the grass and die.  

Last Saturday I woke up realizing I needed to go for a run.  I checked the weather and was happy to see storms and heavy rain was scheduled for almost the whole day.  As if on cue it started pouring rain outside.  So I ate breakfast.  The rain stopped and I checked the weather again. Oh no.  A good three hour gap in the rain had showed up.  I couldn't run right then though since I had just eaten.  About an hour later, dang still no rain.  I started to put on my stuff to go for the run.  I grabbed my ipod nano and Yes the battery was dead.  Can't run without music. But I went anyway. The humidity sapped most of my energy and it ended up being one of my worst runs in awhile, but I did it.

Excuses I've tried to use to get out of going for a run:

  • It's too sunny
  • it's too cloudy
  • It's to dry
  • It's to wet
  • It's slightly raining
  • It may slightly rain in the next several hours
  • It's too hot
  • It's too cold
  • It may become to hot or too cold at some point in the future 
  • I can't find my running shoes
  • I don't like the color of my running shoes
  • My running shoes smell funny
  • My favorite running shirt is dirty
  • My favorite running shirt is clean
  • My insert random joint/muscle is slightly sore
  • My ipod's battery is dead
  • I haven't eaten recently
  • I've eaten too recently 
  • It's Monday
  • It's Tuesday
  • It's Wednesday
  • It's Thursday
  • It's Friday
  • It's Saturday
  • It's Sunday

Inspiring quote by a dead man:


“Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one
thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the
body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up.
It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is
never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger
the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was
never tired... You've always got to make the mind take over
and keep going.”


― George S. Patton Jr.

Comments