Food Friday: Homemade salsa and Chorizo Tacos

It sure has been awhile since I have done a food friday. This is not a foodie blog with a bunch of perfectly lit photos. All you get is a few blurry pictures of my dirty stove.

I noticed the cilantro I have been growing on my balcony was sort of out of control and needed to be cut back.  So I decided to make  some salsa and tacos.


Salsa/ pico ingredients:

  • 3 medium sized tomatoes
  • 1/2 a sweet onion
  • 1/2 cup of cilantro (mine was fresh out of the pot
  • juice of one lime
  • some peppers for heat (I used  2 serrano peppers because I wanted some heat)
  • I also added some Oregano from my balcony garden because it was getting a little wild.


First I took the peppers and cut them in halves lengthwise. I then laid them flat on the surface and scrapped away the meat and seeds from the middle using the back of a knife. After that I diced them up fine. All I did after that was dice up the tomatoes the onion and chop up the herbs.  If at this point you want to go for more of pico just put it all in a bowl with the juice from the lime and mix it up.  I wanted more of a salsa so I dumped it all in my food processor.

A few pulses and I had what I wanted.

Now all I needed for the tacos was some sort of meat. I made my favorite, chorizo. Some small corn tortillas, the other half of the diced onion, and some more cilantro.

Preparing the chorizo is easy. I used a cast iron skillet over medium heat.  I cut open the and dumped the sausage in the pan.  It does not look appetizing at this stage.


Let it cook and stir it for seven to eight minutes and it looks a lot better.

Preparing the tortillas is also strait forward. Place them in a heated pan.  Don't put any oil in the pan. About thirty seconds on one side and twenty on the other do the trick of heating them. Be sure to use two of these small tortillas per taco. They split open easily. At this point I deviate from tradition and add some cheese. I put it on the tortilla and put the meat on top.  Just pile some onions, the salsa, and cilantro on top.  Enjoy.


Comments