Food Friday: Winter (butternut/acorn) Squash Soup

The ten of you who regularly read this blog will recognize this recipe as being very similar to my pumpkin soup recipe from last year. It is almost identical. Though I like the some what different flavor I get from the butternut and acorn squash.



Ingredients:

I am not going to provide precise amounts with this recipe because when you aren't dealing with everything pre-processed in cans you have to learn to adjust. Since the amount of squash will probably be the limiting factor. So start with less liquid than you think you will need and add until you have the consistency you want. For example, I did not use the entire box of chicken stock. I have a little left over.. which I have no idea what I am going to use it for.




  •  Some squash(I had 1 butternut and 1 acorn)
  • chicken stock
  • diced onions (medium)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 pint heavy cream
  • salt
  • pepper
  • thyme
  • parsley

Preparation: 

This is much easier if you just used canned pumpkin.  Cut the squash in half. Dig out the seeds with a spoon. Now comes the "fun" part. It took me about twenty-five minutes to get out as much of the meaty part of the squashes.  I used a sharp paring knife and a spoon and I dug and I cut.  I ended up with a nice pile of squash bits.  I threw them into my food processor and pulsed until I had made my own squash puree.

Put the puree, the diced onion, the garlic, and chicken stock into a saute pan. You are going to have to make a call as to how much chicken stock you need. At the end we are going to want a soup with a nice thick consistency. Check out the top picture for what we hope to end with.  Bring this mixture to a boil and then let it simmer for thirty minutes.  Now you need to blend this. You can either use a stick blender or you can use a regular blender. Careful kids it's hot. Spice to your preference. Simmer the blended soup for another thirty minutes.  Stir in the heavy cream.  Put into a bowl and garnish with parsley. 

Comments