I Will Not Give up Hope

I actually wrote this shortly after the attack in Nice but didn't post it. I questioned about what right I had to talk about these things just because I had visited Nice. I've decided to post it anyway for two reasons. First, this is my blog and I'll write about whatever I want. I also think it's important topic. I'd apologize for it being kinda rambling but if you don't know me by now....  


I have this habit of falling in love with anyplace I visit. It doesn't matter if the trip is for work or pleasure. The allure of new place enchants me. This love takes a few different forms. Some places I enjoy the visit. These places I think about visiting again and spending a few days catching up on the things I missed or enjoying the local atmosphere again. But I have no interest in living there.  Rome comes to mind. I thoroughly enjoyed the time I have spent in the city but I am pretty sure living there would drive me nuts. Other places I enjoy and could actually imagine having a life there. I could see myself having a job, commuting to work etc. I think about London that way.

CIMG0141
Old Town Nice
Then there is Nice France. Nice has imprinted itself on my brain like no other place. I haven't been there for eight years. In fact technically I stayed in Monaco. I have not been able to get Nice out of my mind. I have bookmarked webcams so I can check what is going on.  Many a night I have fallen asleep while fantasizing about my life there. My fantasies were the most mundane things. I didn't imagine myself as a rich man riding around in my yacht up and down the coast. I imagined myself in my simple little flat, going to work, getting up in the morning for a jog along the Promenade des Anglais. I have no illusions that Nice is a paradise. I know it has problems.

I am not going to recount the horror that happened their on July 14th 2016. If you are reading this in the future feel free to search the internet. I won't give it any glory. It seems to be symbolic to do such horrible evil in such a beautiful place.

We live in an age when all the horrible things can be blasted to our screens almost instantly. We can breathlessly await the latest info to placate our desire for horror. Many can be driven to despair by this deluge of evil.  I will not give up hope We should not give up hope. We can grieve but not despair.

Events like this make me think of the line from The Two Towers. "What can men do against such reckless hate?"



Once we've passed by despair into hope, eventually we want to do something. What can we do? I will not be an interpol agent tracking down international terrorists. Hopefully I'll never be involved in an incident and have to intervene like the brave soul in Nice did. What I can do is be a good person. By maintaining hope and love everyone of us can make the world a better place. We can love and be accepting of those we come in contact with.  We can make the world a better place by being better people. In the face of such hate I say love stronger, hope better, and dream bigger.

Comments